Friday, August 19, 2005
Hook, Line and Sinker
The sun painted the sky in a myriad of indescribable colours. The water danced along in approval. Even the moon came out to say hello. As it rose slowly in the sky, it too knew that this party was too much fun to be missed.

The evening started out with uncertainty. It wasn't what I was expecting. It was our job to mix and mingle. All by ourselves. Shaken. Not Stirred.

We sat back and watched people come on board. We were there to check, and be checked out. Normally I hate that. But tonight, it didn't bother me so much, maybe because everyone was there to 'pick up'. I knew everyone's intentions before I even batted an eyelash. The cards were on the table, no hidden agendas that I couldn't predict and control. I was in control.

I talked to the boy that looked like John Mayer. He had on a crisp blue shirt, his hair was just long enough with a titch of wave to it. Beige pants and flipflops. He was recently back from Thailand. we had a great chat about some travel, then some more about some other stuff. His name was Phil, kind of like the verb. That was his joke, not mine. Who knew there were other geeks besides me out there. We both excused ourselves and moved on.

The white not-linen, but flowy like linen shirt was paired with a nice basic pair of blue jeans. The man wearing them, looked great in them. I liked how confident he was. He was there with no one. Sitting, first by himself then talking to some girl done up like a barbie doll. I noticed him because he was grooving to the music and singing lightly under his breath. I could see lips moving, but no words. We had a great chat about photography. And art as hobby. We chatted, we laughed, we moved on.

There were other faces, other stories, other good clothes, other not so good clothes. There was dancing. Phil and I attempted to Salsa. I forgot the salsa steps and ended up swing dancing. We laughed. I confessed that earlier I had been dancing around my appartment. He seemed to have a good sense of humor.

Robert and I danced too. That white shirt was beautiful as he danced. He wasn't a good dancer, but neither am I. None of that mattered.

The smile that was watching me accross the boat was my favourite. It was a big grin. Red Riding Hood big. I spent the first part of the night avoiding him. We had met on the dock. He was an organizer and wrote me a name tag. We laughed and made jokes about sliding numbers into peoples pockets. Right after he left, Sandie told me she thinks he liked me. I think I liked him. I especially liked the way he worked in to the conversation that he was single. I wonder if he's just being friendly, making conversation and trying to put us at ease. Or if he meant something by it. I"m pretty sure it was the first suggestion. Not the second one.

Halfway through the evening, I walked by and he struck up a conversation. I could hardly hear him. He was sitting, i was standing
<>Wind was blowing. I made the best of it. Eventually I sat down next to him. Conversation was better then. Almost – there was another girl. We chatted a little more later that evening.

The breeze off the harbor turned cool. He was cold in his short sleeved shirt. My black, three quarter sleeve and slightly fluffy sweater was doing a good job keeping me warm. It all happened so fast, I’m not sure how it happened, but soon I was in his arms. No more than 10 seconds of bliss. Sweet bliss. He smelled good. Not strong, but clean. I hoped I smelled good too. He was just tall enough that his chin rested close to my forehead, my head sought out a comfortable place on his shoulder and found it without missing a beat. My arms embraced him as his one arm wrapped around my shoulder. I wonder if he liked having me in his arms as much as they liked being there.

He was using me to keep warm. I was okay with that.

Distance. Time. And Space. Mingling.

<>

As the boat pulls back to the dock, I know it’s now or never. I was surprised to find my feet beneath me. With that many butterflies, I felt like I was going to fly away. Deep breath in, don’t think twice—it’s alright. And go. I take the cue from the conversation on the dock. I slip my card into his shirt pocket. He laughs because he remembers the conversation we had on the deck. I tell him I think it’s a trick he probably uses all the time. He tells me nope, I was technically the first one to use it. I’m not sure what was technical. I didn’t have the nerve to ask. I disappeared into the crowd. So did he. I just hope the card was enough of a glass slipper. What I really wanted to say, was you got me. Hook, Line and Sinker.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tracy Lowe,
Your life seems to be getting more and more fabulous by day. I'm sorry I've been so MIA this summer, I really must catch up with you soon! However, I just wanted to let you know that I appreciated your use of the word "titch".

Jen

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer