Thursday, February 26, 2004
I know not what I do
Interesting morning meeting today. I was meeting for coffee/discussion with some group members about this really great education program we're trying to get off the ground. Most of you have probably heard me talk about the program-- Humanities 101. Basically, in one sentence, which will do the project no justice, it's aimed at educating people who live in poverty. The cirriculum focus' on the humanities.
Apparently there is another group in the city that is attempting to start this as well. They're a religious organization. they're using the idea of the course, but are more or less focusing on a more 'salvation' approach. Although i'm supportive of their idea, that is not what my group members and I want to do. We're afraid that that might deter people. There are a lot of biases, prejudices and opinions that come with involving the church with projects. It's interesting though because the group memebers looked at that as more of a charity project, and a 'lets do good works so we can get to heaven project'. I sat there, listening to their concerns, and wondering, at which point do I say something? Is it wrong for me to agree and say that i would like to keep this seperate of my Christian life? It's not that i want to keep it entirely separate, more that i agree with the argument that there is a possibility of religion creating a barrier. So then i wonder, should i have said something more during the meeting? There were a lot of arguments raised about stuff like everyone trying to earn, and/or scare people into salvation. I wish i could have been more vocal about what i think about that.
Is it okay to say that i don't agree with some of the stuff that happens in the Church? Doesn't matter i guess, i didn't say anything and now it is too late. But because i dwell on absolutly everything, i must think about this so that if it happens again, i'm ready for it.
So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions or wants to talk this through with me, you know where to find me. Someone throw me a lifeline, i feel like i'm drowning here...
just keep swimming, just keep swimming...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer