Friday, July 15, 2005
Why I love this city
Halifax was very fortunate to see the sun today. As per usual, I walked down Spring Garden Rd for my lunch break. The streets were colourful with Haligonians and tourists alike who gratefule and appreciative for a break in the monotomy of the uniform grey. The standard array of buskers lined the street : The saxophonist, who dresses like he is from downsouth, matching hat and suit-- in a wide array of colours. A couple of fiddlers, street people. These are the people in my neighbourhood.

As I walk down the street, I'm usually ingorant to the noise which surrounds me. I usually have my music up loud enough to block everything out. Today, I turned it off. Only because I was intrigued.

I crossed the street and approached the square in my usual fashion -- briskly. I got caught up in a shoe store and had to hurry back to work. There was an older couple sitting on fold up lawn chairs. A man, in an electric wheel chair, turning round and round. The couple in the lawn chairs where bouncing spoons on their knees. And it is only when I turned my music off, was I able to hear theirs. It was traditional Nova Scotia style music. It played from a small portable stereo which lay at their feet. The spoons served as an extra rythmic accompaniment. The trio was smiles and laughter all around as the man in the wheel chair, danced. No doubt it was to the beat of his own drummer.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen those old people before... they are pretty good! I miss Halifax

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer