Friday, September 30, 2005
One Fish, Two Fish
The minute I walked in to the room, I felt nervous and grossly out of place.  It was definitely a suit and tie crowd.  I was in jeans—not even fancy ones.  I did have on my blue suede boots and my black sweater with the sort of funky neck that I love, so I felt a little bit more confident.  But I didn’t have my fun purse and a good bag is essential to pretending that you belong somewhere.  

Later, I would discover that the room was filled with journalists, marketing execs and PR types.  I used to want to be part of that crowd.  Used to.  

The conversation was bouncing back and forth vividly between the colleagues that had formed the circle of ten.  There were no stragglers.  As I looked around the room attempting to devise a plan of action, two of the men in the circle, stepped aside and broadened it.  
The man on my left was clean shaven and handsome in his tailored suit.  He extended his hand, and with a firm handshake, he boldly and confidently stated his name.  I promptly forgot it.  “John Smith, Chronicle Herald”.  
I returned the handshake, as firm as I could, and stated as boldly and confidently as I could “Tracy Lowe, Read to Me! Program”.  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer