Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Watching the wall crumble
“When I hit a rut, she says to try the other parent”
Dar Williams,  What do you hear?


My job was always the cooking and cleaning.  Dad would spend Saturday afternoon puttering in the house and the garage.  I’d go out and offer to help with whatever he was doing, but instead, I was banished to cooking and cleaning.  And while I could cook you a delicious whatever you wanted, I did not have an aptitude for tools.

Today, I put all that in the past.  Sort of.

I had a CD rack that I was prepared to mount on my wall.  I fished out screws and picked a place for it on the wall.  I couldn’t make it work though.  So I did what any smart girl would do.  I asked my roomie to come help me.

Five minutes later, Megan has the cordless drill out.  She measures and marks the holes we’re going to drill in the drywall – after we make sure we have drywall screws, of course.  She seems to know what she is doing.  I feel kind of silly watching her work, so I go back to cleaning my room.  I vacuum, while she makes holes in the wall.

After many attempts at drilling an appropriately sized hole, the drywall screws still don’t fit.  We hammer, we drill larger.  We give up.  I vacuum, and tidy.

There is now a pile of crumbled drywall on my table.  Still no holes that will hold, still no CD rack.  I have given up.  I’m waiting for someone to come and do it for me.  Because old habits, really do die hard.


2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Two words... duct tape! Actually, I've mounted several things on the wall using doublesided tape. Useful stuff! Don't know if it'd hold up a CD rack though...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you still don't have it done by the time I get there... I'll fix it for you!!!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer