Saturday, January 07, 2006
Ladies First
I carried my purse in one hand, and a six pack of beer in the other.  The line at the liquor store was long. I joined at a spot that I thought would make me next in line.  So did he.
And depended on how you looked at it, either one of us could be right.  There was a shelf on either side of us.  We both stepped forward and stopped. Side by side. Two by two.
We both hung back, waiting for someone else to break the ice.  
He spoke first, “What happens now?”
“I dunno”
I invited him to go first, but he didn’t seem to have heard it.
“We could have a coin toss” he suggested.
I laughed and said, “We could do that.”
Strange, semi-awkward pause.
“Why don’t you go ahead, ladies first.”
I smiled, thanked him, and moved ahead in the line.  

**********************************************************************

I returned from the basement with 4 bottles of beer. The fridge is always well stocked at my parent’s house.  I offered them around, and then proceeded to open one for myself.  

“There’s a glass in the freezer” Dad said, looking right at me.

Dad always keeps mugs frozen in the freezer.  He thinks it’s the only way to drink beer, I’m more of a bottle girl myself.

“No thanks, I’m good”.

My dad looked at me with that all too familiar look of disgruntlement.  

“I don’t like to see a lady drinking out of a bottle.”

I laughed, returned his look with one of my own.

“Who are you calling a lady?”

But for the record, I had to relinquish the bottle for a mug.  Company was coming, and when in your parent’s house, no matter how old you get, you still have to do as you’re told.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer