Thursday, April 01, 2004
The Recent Past and the Recent Future
Wow, today was one of those days where I thought that I could give the energizer bunny a run for his money. Bring it on, I say. I still could. But there is something about running around all day that makes a night out even better.

So tonight I went to Ginger's Tavern with Jen. We went to see James Keelaghan play. And play did he ever. I don't know if it was just the mood I was in, or what, but as soon as he played the opening chord on his guitar, I was suddenly taken away to a different place. James Keelaghan has a voice as rich as chocolate pudding... It's warm and inviting... deep and rich... no matter how much you've had, you want more.
James Keelaghan stands on the stage, about 25 feet away from me. The bar isn't packed, but there aren't any free seats either. He looks out at the crowd and starts telling stories. That's what he does... above all else, his songs are stories. based on truth, based on books he has read, based on what he knows. When he sings, you can't help but believe every word he says. He has a voice rich beyond anything you've ever heard before, and a guitar that knows every in and out of every note ever played. The fiddle in the background, along with the bass guitar add another dimension of richness to the music. Even if you haven't heard the tunes before, they've got that comfortable feeling of old favourites, while they sound fresh and exciting like a new tune.
Keelaghan gets the crowd to sing along. He'll teach you the lines of the chorus, then ask it to be sung in four part harmony. The funny thing is, the audience miraculously hits off a little bit of a harmony... and if not, who cares? We're singing along with one of Canada's greatest folk musicians.
The greatest thing about Keelaghan is the effortlessness that goes in to each song. He takes the time to chat with and joke with the audience between songs. He is having fun and it shows. he looks like just any other regular guy. He looks old enough to be my father, but not old enough that I'd call him an old guy. And when he sings, the world stops. In the tavern, perched on the second floor above Barrington St, I'm oblivious to the rest of the world. All there is right now is James and his guitar, a fiddle player, a bass player, Peculiar beer brewed by the Granite Brewery here in Halifax and a great crowd.
When the show ends, the band makes it's way over to the bar. Part of me wants to join them, but really, what is there to say. It's been a great night. So I put on my coat and walk down the stairs, through the doors and back into the real world.
"In a recent future this is passed
It may not seem this way because
you're in the middle looking out
There is no will be there's just was
Sharply Drawn and clear
The future is sketchy
Though it's close it's never here" (James Keelaghan: A recent future)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer