Sunday, June 05, 2005
The Life Of Pi
A novel that mixes philosophy with religion is not a likely read for the likes of me. Nonetheless, with a bit of determination and an unqunechable curiosity, I have just finished The Life Of Pi (Yann Martell).

In a nutshell, it's a survival story of a boy trapped on a boat with a tiger. They're all each other has in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The book was interesting. In the beginning it was so eloquently written that I was intrigued and had to keep reading. The intrigue quickly turned to needing to know what happened and what exactly was the point. Eventually the story became exhaustive... i kept reading because I still had to find the point. Today, I read through the last part of the book. Searching the pages frantically for real life parallels, deeper meaning and an explanation. I'm still working through it in my head.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that the sign of a great book? One that gets you to thinking? I loved life of Pi especially the discussion of free will, it gave and interesting perspective, the comparison to animals in a zoo was very thought provoking.
I'm really glad you read the whole book!
Hollymeister

Blogger Tracy said...

Yeah, the deaths did make me feel sick. But i think they were an unfortunately necessary detail.

It kind of got me thinking though, if I was in that place, what would I have done? How do you maintain hope of survival, or at what point would i have given up?

And although I've been known to say that the ending was anti-climatic, I more or less was refferring to the rescue. I liked the end. I liked how they didn't believe the story so he retold the same story, but differently, and they liked that one more. I think I"m going to read this book again, maybe in a few months though.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anticlimactic!!! Anticlimatic means that the ending was against the weather!!!
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=anticlimactic
PFFT!
HOLLYMEISTER

Blogger Tracy said...

I think it was night when I finished the book.

Let the record show that according to my Oxford English Dictionary :

anitclimax -- noun -- a trivial conclusion to something significant or impressive, wepecially where a climax was expected (anticlimactic -- adj)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer