Monday, April 10, 2006
clutch
Clutch.  

Laughter.  She was laughing at the look on my face.  The car lurched several times then came to a very abrupt halt.

“Oops, That wasn’t what I wanted to happen at all”.

Marti relaxed in the passenger’s seat while I took the wheel.  I’ve wanted to learn to drive a standard car for quite a while now.  And Marti, being the brave soul that she is, offered to teach me.

I wasn’t the only person having a Sunday afternoon driving lesson in Bayer’s Lake.  The parking lots were empty of the usual shopping traffic. They were however scantily clad with nervous drivers.  

It brought back memories of the first time I learned to drive a car.  It was also a Sunday afternoon and a rather empty parking lot.  I was nervous as the car rolled forward.  Today, I was nervous as the car rolled backwards.

We stopped and started.  Sometimes, more stopping than starting, especially while trying to start.   The one hill ( a minor slope) wasn’t too bad.  I found that things worked the first few times I tried them.  Then I got forgetful.  Clutch, break, gear, wait- which gear, reverse ?!? There is a lot to remember while driving a standard. But I know once I get the hang of it, I’m really going to like it.   A few more lessons though, and I’ll be ready to take the road.
Clutch.   You forgot the clutch.  You can’t shift without the clutch.  You’re going to stall…. Use the clutch.  

And to think, the only kind of clutch I really took into much consideration before today is a clutch bag.  It’s also a good thing I had my seatbelt bag with me.  Because while I’m learning, a few extra seatbelts can’t hurt.  Especially in Race Car Red.  



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sure you did considering it was your first time :D

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did great that is....

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marti is a braver man than I Gungadin...
Old movie reference...
I know Marti isn't a man...
I still wouldn't teach you :P

Blogger Megan said...

Yikes, run, hide, this is going to be sacry!
lol
j/k I am sure you will do great!

Blogger Jenn said...

My ex tried to teach my standard... it didn't work. I'll stick to automatic, and I believe everyone else on the road is thankful for that.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer