Thursday, June 22, 2006
Baker Baker
I want to decorate cakes.  This does not mean that I want to bake them.  However, in order to actively participate in cake decorating class, one must bring a cake to class.
The thought of me making a cake from scratch made me laugh.  So I picked up a box of Duncan Hines Cake mix.  Should be easy enough.

I was proud of my efforts and thought I had done an excellent job.  I put my cake in the oven and went to watch some TV.  No more than 10 minutes later, there was a funny burning smell.  I went to investigate.
Apparently, I had filled the cake pan too full.  There was now cake batter on the floor of my oven.  The burning smell was the cake that was burning on the element.  I grabbed a spatula, and scraped it off the element.  The cake that was on the bottom of the oven was a nice fluffy goldeny brown mess.  I cleaned up, assured myself that everything would be okay, and returned to the living room.

About 5 minutes later, it was overflowing again.  Repeat of previous paragraph.

FINALLY… the cake has stopped overflowing, is golden brown on the top and the knife I stuck in the middle came out nice and clean.   I take the cake out of the oven, leave it to cool, and head out for a  bit.

By the time I return to my house, the inside of the cake has fallen in.  Significantly.  To the point where I have a nice crispy outside, a lovely golden brown top and a very soupy middle of the cake.  Garbage it was unsalvageable.

I didn’t make it to cake decorating class the next day.  I did not have a cake to decorate.
My last class is on Saturday, and this time I got smart – I just phoned in an order to the Superstore bakery.  One cake, without icing for pickup, please.  

Hey, I want to decorate cakes, not bake them.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my tracy lowe!!! I'd have baked a cake for you!!! I miss you!!!

Blogger Megan said...

Good idea Tracy Lowe. If you take this class again I will help you bake some cakes!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer