Sunday, August 28, 2005
Dancing Queen
You've got to come in, He's sitting at our table.

"Done. As soon as I find my ID, I'm in."

The other boys from the band looked over at me. They wanted to find out who was this girl who was so excited that Luke (their bass player), was sitting at a table with her friends. Marti leaves me to go see if Luke is able to sneak me in for free. He is afterall, in the band. After what seems like an eternity but was probably much closer to 5 minutes, she returns. No luck on the use of the connections, but the girls took up a collection for my cover. They wanted me to come in with them but we weren't planning to stay long. No really, we werent.

By the time I find the girls at their table, Luke was gone. That's okay with me. I was in no mood to be funny, witty or charming. I don't know if I wanted him to see me like that.

We decide to stay at the Alehouse for the first set. Andy, can we get a round of doubles please? My friend was now on a first name basis with the very cute waiter.

We hit up the dancefloor. Stage right. His left. There is music and there is laughter and that's good enough for me. The dancefloor fills in to the point where obnoxiously drunk people are pushing and scrambling all over the place. I tell my friend I can't deal with this. I'm going to sit at our table again.

The band sounds tired. I don't know if they are, or if its because we've seen them play so many times. Marti and I are ready to move on, the other two girls are not. Sooner or later, we have them convinced. I was supposed to go find my wingman. She was at Boomers. Gulp.

After a couple more stops, discussion and debate, we decide to check out Rain. It's almost 2 at this point, and so Rain is an obvious choice -- they're open late. When we get there, it's not that busy. We head right for the dancefloor. I'm not sure how it happened, but in my easily persuaded ways, i'm now dancing on something speakeresque about a foot and a half above the dancefloor. Great, now everyone is watching me. But at least I have my own space. We dance and dance and dance. We danced till I couldn't dance anymore.

The sub I had for supper at 5 pm had long left me. I was so hungry, so tired, and just a little bit buzzed. I needed pizza. We walked over to pizza corner, and then had to walk to find a cab. And finally, after what seemed like a long night where no one was having an exceptionally good time, I was home. Cinderella didn't even loose a slipper at the ball. She just considered herself lucky that she didn't turn into a pumpkin.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer