Thursday, October 06, 2005
Through my looking glass
If only they had used practical or interesting examples of science I might have paid attention, and taken a course in science past grade 10.  But I didn’t care to listen in class and I certainly didn’t care to study.  Everything was so abstract, nothing had a context.
Tonight, I wondered if my glass bead making teacher doubles as a science teacher.  I think the answer is, no.  He’s an artist.  But he knows his material well.  He knows the physics and chemical properties involved in making beads.  I suppose when you’re heating gas past 1000 degrees and manipulating it to form a bead, it’s good to know what you’re dealing with.  He tries to instill this in all of us, but to people like me, we watch.  Follow instructions to the best of our abilities and hopefully end up with some funky beads at the end.  My beads are especially funky.  Some may refer to it as lack of skill, but actually, who always wants perfectly round beads.  Certainly not me.  And to think, we’ve only worked on different techniques of solid colour beads. Next week, we go two colours. Then the real fun begins.

On a totally other note, I just noticed I started out with ‘if only’.  I’m trying to drop that and start working with what I’ve got.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEAD making!!! I was so confused when I saw your msn name and thought it said BREAD making... I thought "oh she didn't tell me about that class"... yeah

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer