Sunday, November 06, 2005
Desert Rose
The streets were pretty deserted.  Then again, it was 6:45 on a Sunday morning.  If I didn’t have to be at work for 7:00, I can’t guarantee that I would have been awake either.  In fact I can guarantee that I would have been curled up in my bed.  Sleeping soundly, with a toilet – really near by.
(does anyone know that reference?  It’s a little big of anti-pop culture)

So back to the walk.

The colour of the leaves contrasted against the slate gray sky.  The sky matched the tone of the sidewalk that was wet from the overnight rain.  On a straight road all I could see was a long path of gray highlighted by a mixture of fall coloured leaves amassed on either side of the pavement.

The road was clear, except for one figure.  A man, hard to place the age range.  Dressed as if he’s trying to make an impression.  White shirt, black 3 piece suit and a black leather briefcase.  It is then I realize, there is no one around.  No people, no cars.  He going one way, me the other.

It’s the stretch of Robie I hate the most.  In the night, it’s dark.  In the day, it’s long with no where to go.  Cemetery on one side, traffic on the other. Take your pick.

I quicken my walking pace.  As fast as a half asleep girl can walk in the morning.  As we pass, I make eye contact with him.  I do offer a half smile so the glare that really says “don’t mess with me”, doesn’t seem quite as harsh.  He returns the glare, no smile.  We pass without incident.  But then the clincher, always check over the shoulder to make sure you’re not being followed or he didn’t turn around, stop, hide in bushes etc.  I walk another two steps, definitely not more, and turn over my left shoulder.  Funny, he did the same.  Our eyes met yet again.  I don’t think that’s ever happened to me before. He backed down first.

I quicken my pace again, now more alert.  I’m quickly approaching a major intersection which has more comfort than the cemetery.  One more shoulder check confirms that is had kept going and is long passed.  I’m relieved.  By the time I get to work, I’m actually happy to be there.  Well, as happy as a girl who had to be at work for 7 am.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer