Sunday, October 23, 2005
The Man Crush
It’s nothing more than exactly what it is. It’s not like a usual crush, with its hidden agenda and hopeful daydreams. It’s nothing but adoration, infatuation, and admiration topped off with a little desire.

For the record, this post isn’t about a current infatuation. In fact, and scarily enough, there isn’t one. (I’m thinking it’s just got to be a phase too, don’t worry). This post isn’t about me. It’s about men, and the crushes they develop on each other.
Please don’t stop reading. It will all make sense in due time.

It was Jen who was able to add the insight of a term for this. It started with her telling me about a friend and how he acts around a certain other person. Now, there is no question of sexual orientation. It’s not about that at all. It’s about him pretty much worshipping the ground the other Man walks on. Its admiration, adoration, and the burning desire to be just like him.
I had thought this about another one of our friends and the way he acted around someone else. The constant search for approval and the desire to impress. The way he was constantly telling me what the other person said, or did, or would think, or would say. I began to feel inferior and unhelpful. My woman-thinking brain didn’t get it. I couldn’t bond on the same level. He didn’t want me to. He had a man crush. When this was happening, I thought that if the person he went on about was a woman, it would definitely be a crush. But in this case, it was two men, both straight. Both just friends and really growing close as friends. Women do it all the time, it’s great to see Men venturing in that direction too. And don’t worry guys, it’s just a little crush.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tracy, you're crazy.

- Gregg

Blogger Tracy said...

I think it could be about a lot of people.
I can think of two off the top of my head.
It's not a bad thing, it's more or less just about how Men show their admiration for another person.

Frankly, i find it charming ;)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer