Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Devils and Dust
I didn't like the way he looked at me.

It wasn't scary, but it made me uncomfortable. It was a look as if he knew me, or knew my secrets.

Maybe it was the way I looked at him first. He was waiting patiently in front of me at line in the grocery store. Six o'clock supper rush hour. He waited calmly and peacefully, while I flipped songs on my Ipod, struggled to hold my basket of groceries and contemplativly scanned the scene.
I think I met his glance just a little too long. That's when he smiled at me. I returned the half smile, sheepishly, and went back to staring at magazine covers.

His hair was salt and pepper, just like the peppercorns in my basket. His dress was conservative, but it was the white collar that intrigued me the most. I was curious to know what kind of minister he was. Was he on his way home from working at the church all day? Maybe he was visiting someone in the community, or at the hospital. Why was he buying 10 cans (and only that) of frozen juice? He looked at me even more closely. He looked at me as if he knew me or knew something about me. It was sympathetic, but not condescending or presumptuous. I think he looked into my soul, and saw my devils and my dust.




3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Powell said...

great tune!

Blogger Tracy said...

It is a great tune! You'll have to show me how to play it again Mike, I've already forgotten :(

Blogger Michael Powell said...

You can get the chords for this tune off of www.harmonycentral.com if you're interested.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer