Thursday, September 01, 2005
Story Teller
"Excuse me, but what do those words say?"

His 5 year old voice asked me quite confidently. The look in his eyes was hopeful. And there was a grin on his face.

"This story is Pat-a-cake. It's for your new baby brother."
I had just started explaining the benefits of books and the importance of reading to new babies. The parents listened attentively while he just stared at the book in my hand. When I finished showing the features to the parents, I passed it to him. He grinned from ear to ear. He flipped the pages and scanned the words.
He took the book over to his Dad and asked him to read it.
"In a minute, let the lady finish first."
The little boy with blond hair and blue eyes continuted flipping the pages. Clearly, this was a 5 year old who wanted a story now.

I crouched down to look him in the eye. "Do you know this rhyme?" I asked him.
He told me no.
"Can I read it to you?"
Eagerly, he nodded yes. His parents looked at me apologetically as if to say they didn't mean to put me on the spot like this. I smiled and nodded so they knew that I didn't mind at all. In fact, the opportunity was exciting and I welcomed it.
Sure, there were phone calls to make, and emails to send. But for right now, my new 5 year old friend wanted to read a story with me. And everyone needs someone to read them a story once in while. Especially a child.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer