Monday, October 17, 2005
Cordially Invited
Mom and Dad sat across from me.  Dad sipped his beer, I sipped a martini, Mom was happy to sip her water.  We talked and worked through the plans of the next day.  Dad asked if they needed tickets to attend the graduation ceremony.  Yes, actually. They did.  The problem was, I didn’t know where to find them.
Admittedly, I was worried.  I had done a quick check for the tickets before we left for dinner.  They weren’t where I remembered leaving them.  Not that I remembered at all.  I hadn’t seen them in a while.  A long while.
I got home from dinner and was greeted by Holly and her cousin Brittany.  They were hanging out in my living room.  They came to help me look for the tickets.  I assigned Holly the task of emptying my overflowing garbage bin.  Meanwhile, I proceeded to ruffle through the basket of miscellaneous papers, the top of my dresser, the drawers and anything else I could think of.  Holly was smart enough to know that if my garbage bin was overflowing with paper that maybe, just maybe, we should check through them.

It takes a real friend to rifle through your garbage.  Most of the ‘garbage’ was receipts, unopened mail, work schedules, notes to self, flyers and other miscellaneous papers.  After the first layer of paper was removed, we found some earrings and a bracelet.  Things that weren’t supposed to be there.  It must have been the cats, I thought.  They jump on that dresser all the time, they probably knocked the things off the shelf into the bin.

She kept rifling.  And finally, on the back of a ‘list of things to pack’, was an envelope that said “Dal Convocation”.  Inside, were three invitations.  Found near the bottom of the bin.  It’s a good thing that that bin is only for paper.  And lets just say, the rest of it got checked for important items as well.

Three Invitations, two parents. That last one didn’t go to waste.  But that’s a whole other story for just a little later.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer