Thursday, October 20, 2005
Diamonds on the Soles of My Shoes
Men. They toy with your emotions. It’s a skill they learn somewhere along the way and it has got to stop.

The intention was sincere. He looked at me with a look that said, “that’s right, you’ve picked up the hottest pair of boots we have in the store.”. I smiled right back, and said what has to be one of my favourite lines : “Size Eight, please”.

The look was skeptical. The doubt practically poured out of his voice and collected in a puddle at my feet. “I’ll see if I have them”.

Panic. Franticity.

This isn’t the first time that he’s done this. A girl cannot easily forget a man that knows how to toy with her emotions on such a serious level. Rewind to the middle of summer. Pink suede walking shoes. I had bought them, then returned them. Then absolutely had to have them and went to buy them again. The tone he used today was complete déjà vu. No sympathy, no empathy, just skepticism and doubt.

I wander around and look at other shoes, while I wait anxiously. Then finally, I see him coming around the corner, just like last time. Box in hand, grin on his face. I sit and slide out of my brwon leather mary janes. I hold my breath as he opens the box. A gorgeous wedge heel complete with 12 inches of beautiful, soft black leather. The moment the first one is on, and zipped up, he confirms it. “Gosh, those are great boots.” The second one is in his hand.
“Can I have that, please?”.
He holds it away from me. Dangles it—like a carrot. Teases me a little longer, then hands it over.
While I’m zipping the black leather up, he reminds me that they’re a great pair of boots. And also throws in the fact that they’re guaranteed waterproof for the next year. Like I needed convincing. The second the zipper was zippered I knew, they were mine. All mine.
No thinking twice. No doubt. Just mine. All mine.
I feel like I have Diamonds on the Soles of My Shoes.


2 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Hold on. Tell me that part again: you BOUGHT shoes, then RETURNED them, and then WENT BACK to buy them again?!?

I thought all that Sex in the City stuff about shoes was only a joke...

Blogger Tracy said...

No Joke. Women don't joke about stuff that serious.

I felt bad spending that much money on a pair of shoes. SO i returned them. I couldn't stop thinking about them and then I realized what an integral part of my being they were. They were funky, practical and fun. And pink Suede. And in defense of me, they're one of the pairs of shoes i wore the most this summer. good thing I went back to buy them!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer