Wednesday, November 23, 2005
Fraud
“Are you a librarian by trade?” asked the Dad I had just handed a gift bag too.

“Nope, I’m a linguist”.  I said it with self-affirmation and without missing a beat.  
He looked at me blankly.

I always knew someone would be ready to call me on my credentials sooner or later, so I was ready for him.  I explained that I’ve studied language acquisition, function, development and language barriers/community issues.  

It feels a bit fraudulent to claim to be a linguist.  What I really wanted to go with was that I was ‘One odd sock, or the Queen Bead”.  But that would have really thrown him for a loop.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, I agree with mama mia, noone but a linguist could use the words you do and get away with it! :)

Meg

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer