Friday, November 18, 2005
Queen Bead and The Other Odd Sock
Today was the day.
I’ve spent the past few years, imagining having a table at a craft show/market, and today it happened.  Four years ago, I wouldn’t have thought I’d be selling jewelry, but today we were.  Megan – my roomie, partner in crime and co-conspirator, and I had a table at the STARS Craftshowcase at work.  What’s to be said – it went quite swimmingly!

We’ve both worked diligently on pieces for the past few weeks.  Different shapes, sizes, colours and patterns.  We were happy to watch some of our favourite pieces find homes, and almost relieved when some of our favourite pieces didn’t sell – we can keep them.  As I always say, “what if it goes home with someone who doesn’t love it half as much as I do.  It shouldn’t be hidden, it needs to be shown off to the world”.

A jewelry show it was and jewelry did we show! Lots of our funky necklaces and earrings sold.  Someone walked by and commented that the table was looking a little bare… that was exactly how we planned it.

It’s tough, to watch someone examine your art.  Each piece is an extension of us.  We both work off the rule that you never make a piece that you wouldn’t like yourself.  People rave, people criticize. Jewelry is a personal thing—we don’t all have the same taste.  It was great to willingly and openly share that with people. The fear of rejection has usually paralyzed me from doing so.  I’m now able to take it with a grain of salt, not as salt in a wound.
So, at the risk of sounding Oscar (awards, not grouch) ish there are some people who really made this happen.  You all know who you are… the ones who encouraged us, placed your orders, critiqued very constructively, lent us your dining room table, and told me I’d be nuts if I didn’t go into this thing.  And I’m sorry I disguised it as such a big decision and made you worry.  Very Sorry.  
Today was great.  That’s one less goal on the 5 year list.  And one ecstatic Queen Bead and Other Odd Sock!


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it went well! I knew you could do it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are jewelry goddesses!

The OTheR ODd SoCk

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer