Monday, November 28, 2005
My Aunt's Aunt

Years ago, my ignorant Upper Canadian self set foot on Nova Scotian terrain.  I made reference to an Aunt (which I then pronounced as Ant).  I was ridiculed by Native Nova Scotians, but determined that I had Ants, not ahhnst.  

I’m not sure when it happened, but I now refer to either of my parent’s sisters as ahh-nts, not ants. Today I was watching a presentation on video in which someone used Ants, and now it struck me as odd. It just didn’t sound right.

Ahh-nts are family.  Ants are pesky little bugs that like to carry away picnic baskets.  Perhaps you have family, who like picnics and may even have a tendency to raid your picnic basket, but they’re not the type of Ant I’m talking about here.  So I’m taking a poll: Ahh-nt vs. Ant

Meanwhile, I think I’ll write a book called “My Aunt’s Ants”.  Depending on how you read that it could be horribly misconstrued.

Today’s update has been brought to you by the letters L for Linguist, T for Tracy and C for no more coffee, I’m switching to Crack light.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

crack lite is good... and it is aunt... like ant but with fewer legs :p although I am a fellow uppercanadian.... meh

Blogger Robin said...

Ant.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey maybe yo upper Canadians are not all wrong! *joking* I used to say Ant until moving to Halifax.

~Megan

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer