Monday, November 28, 2005
To go
The Coburg was believably busy for Sunday afternoon.  That’s always the way.  I debated leaving and passing on the tradition that was once such an integral part of my life.  Boldly, I ordered my coffee in a mug.  I was going to stay.

After surveying the tables which were all full when I arrived, I caught a glimpse of someone leaving.  I waited skittishly.  This table, although a little close to the doors for my liking, was in my favourite section.  And on a busy Sunday afternoon in a coffee shop bustling with students cramming for exams and frantically typing term papers, I didn’t really have a lot of options.

The power of a good cup of coffee, and a great book, can easily help one to ignore present surroundings.  And aside from the occasional glance up from my book, I didn’t notice a whole lot of what was going on around me.  Until he came in.

Tripod under his arm.  Slightly long hair subtly askew.  Blazer oversized with a gray wool sweater underneath and paired with jeans.  He came in, stopped a few feet in front of me and looked around.  I expected him to approach the counter and order a coffee.  He didn’t.  He glanced left, then right, then did a fuller circle of the place.  Maybe he’s looking for someone, I thought.  You never know.  Then, it looked like he found her.  Only, she didn’t know she had been found.

She was working on her laptop at the table directly in front of me.  Whenever I glanced up, the first thing I would see was the corner of a computer screen.  I wish I could see what was on it.  I have a fascination / nosiness for wanting to know what people are reading, or writing, or doing.  I’m curious.  Apparently, so did the boy with the camera, he leaned on in.  Very close.  First, he tried to glance from a distance.  He did a double take, and leaned in a little closer.  I waited for the girl to acknowledge his presence.  Greet him, perhaps.  But nothing.  He leaned in one more time, took one more look. Walked to the other side of the table (presumably for a better look) and then left.

Neither one acknowledged the other person’s presence.  Their encounter left me befuddled and curious.  Wanting to know, more than ever, what was so interesting that was up on her screen.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer