Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Leaving my mark
As I looked behind me, I noticed the way the dark blue ink had spread over the beige leather couch.  It was a big patch, two inches by 4.  I’m sure I would have noticed that before I sat down.  The stickiness of the ink reveals that I’m the source.

I pull the two blue pens out of my back pocket—they’re both covered in ink.  So is the couch. So is me.  

Now, first you must understand the sacredness of the couch in the lounge at work.  It’s new, its leather. We want to keep it nice.  I don’t think anyone would appreciate the ink motif I artistically and totally unintentionally inscribed on its fairly pristine surface.  First thought “Holy crap, they’re going to kill me, or at least fire me.”

But really, there is no one to be mad at.  And directing anger towards a situation never got anyone anywhere. So I categorize it as embarrassment, stupidity, hassle and crappy. Why can’t I just blend in?

I decide to ignore the fact that the back pocket of my new jeans is now stained in dark dark blue.  With the advice of some nurses, I use alcohol on the ink on the couch.  Miraculously, it comes pretty close to clean.  

I ask our ward aide if she could go down to laundry and get me some scrub pants to wear since sitting down is totally not an option.  When I go to change out of my jeans, I realize that there is a large blue stain on my ass to match the stain on my back pocket.  I work on the pocket stain for a while….. still leaking lots of blue ink.  Eventually I admit defeat and sheepishly accept the offer of the fantastic friend who offered to take them home and wash them repeatedly for me because she is pretty sure she can get the stain out.  (I cannot say thank you enough).

And if they don’t come clean, I’m going to buy a new pair.  That was an overtime shift, so spending a bit of it on replacing my favourite jeans is a justifiable expense.

But right now, I can’t help but thinking that the entire incident was a subconscious way of me trying a little too hard to leave my mark.

she wore a blue tattoo on her finger to remind her that, no matter what they paid her, some stains never come out.





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

but the real question is... did you get the stain out of your ass?

Two weeks till you come here!!! *nearly pees herself with anticipation*

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer