Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Franticity
Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been one heck of a day.  And I’ve been awake for less than 12 hours.  Here’s how it all began.

9:05 – I’m awake. I have 55 minutes to shower, dress, pack a lunch worthy of a 12 hour day, and walk to work.

9:11 – Okay, I’m really going to get out of bed now.

9:43 – I’m leaving for work.  I’m not contented with spending 12 hours in the clothes I have on. On the plus side, I have clothes on.  I decide to come home between job 1 and job 2.

Work is going well, a little busy.  I return some phonecalls, reply to some emails and decide to tackle an Excel spreadsheet.  Ten minutes later, Excel is not co-operating with me.  No worries, it’s a beautiful day, and I’ve been meaning to go order some new books, so I decide to walk to the bookstore.

The bookstore doesn’t have everything I wanted in stock , so I place some special orders and carry along my way.  On my way back to the office, I run into a fitness trainer from the old gym I used to go to.  She is so excited to see me that she gives me a hug.  We chat and do some catching up.  Then, I run into Marti.  So Marti joins me for the walk most of the way back to work.

I get back to work about 5 minutes before I’m supposed to be done for the day.  Problem is I have some stuff to do before the end of the day.  So I finish up and leave work about 20 minutes behind schedule.  This means that I’ve only got 40 minutes before starting my shift in Emerg.

Granted that it takes 15 minutes to walk home , I’ve decided that I’ve got just enough time to go home, change my clothes, put my contacts in and return to work.  That’s exactly what I do.  

I arrive at work at 3:01.  My legs are burning from walking so fast. I’m hungry but have a bag of carrots in my purse. (in the midst of all this chaos I haven’t had much to eat all day).  When I arrive at work, the day shifter looks at me, and then at the other ward clerk and says, uh-oh.  I ask for the schedule.  Turns out, I don’t work until tomorrow afternoon.  Big oops. And to add insult to injury, I rescheduled some appointments from Tuesday (because I forgot I was busy), to Thursday when I thought I was unbusy.  Now I’ll have to unscheduled again.
So I walk home (at a more relaxed pace) and call the hair people to reschedule.  Turns out if I can make it there in 20 minutes, they have time for me.  I put my shoes back on, grab an apple, and run out the door.  

Now I’m there, getting my hair done, and I decide I want a new colour.  Its been driving me nuts for a while, and I’m already in the chair… so she cuts, then she colours.  In the midst of all this, my aesthetician comes in.  She’s not due to start at that salon until Tuesday, but she’s in the process of setting up.  And since she’s doing that, and I had an appointment with her for Tuesday (then Thursday, then Tuesday again), she offers to fix me up while I’m there.  So she does.

I’m home now.  I have a new haircut, a new hair colour and freshly waxed brows.  So despite the helter-skelterness of my day, I feel great.  Now it kind of sucks because I have to work an evening shift tomorrow.  But I’ll worry about that tomorrow.  And right now, I have some take-out Chinese Food waiting for me. After that, I’m going to go do some beading and unwind a little.  


1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Tracy, Tracy, Tracy. Didn't you already have a post with this name? You're much too young to start repeating yourself already!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer