Thursday, April 20, 2006
Soup Nazi
I was a little less than impressed with the day’s selections.  But nonetheless, I wanted soup for lunch.  Of the four selections, only one was vegetarian.  It was a no brainer – Tomato Basil soup it would be.

Now, the last time I ordered Tomato Basil, I was pleasantly surprised.  Originally, it would not have been my first choice for a soup.  But it was the best of the options.  It turned out to be one of the most delicious soups I had eaten from the Pete’s To Go-go lunch counter.

Again, it wouldn’t have been my first choice for soup, but it was the only vegetarian option.  It was a cold and rainy day and soup was what I really wanted for lunch.  So, a bowl of tomato basil soup I ordered.

The first bite wasn’t good.  Actually, it was awful.  All I could taste was salt – no tomato, no basil – just salt.  I stirred my soup thinking that would help, but it didn’t.  
I’m not usually one to complain or send food back, but this time, I knew it had to be done.

I approached the counter with my defective soup in hand.  As I explained the predicament to the cashier, she looked at me with a puzzled look.  

“Do you have your receipt?”
“Umm… nope. You didn’t give me one.”
“Well, I would have tried very hard too.”
“Oh, well, I don’t have it.”

She thought and continued to look at me blankly.
“I don’t think I can return your soup without a receipt.”
My turn to look puzzled.
“Well, I guess I could. But next time hang on to your receipt.”
She handed me $4.59.  
“Sure, next time I will”.  My turn to give her a funny look.

In the background I heard someone order a Tomato Basil soup.  All I wanted to do was stop them.  Or at least remind them to hold onto their receipt.  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer