Wednesday, November 22, 2006
To Go
Yesterday, I lost my lunch.

After running work related errands downtown, I thought I would treat myself to lunch and enjoy it at my desk once I got back to work. So I stopped at one of my favourite lunch cafés – The Daily Grind. I picked out a Cous-Cous Salad and a Samosa to go. Delicious and healthy. They packaged my lunch, made sure I had all the napkins and cutlery that I needed and sent me on my way. Granted that I was already carrying a rather heavy bag, I stopped at a table to organize everything. Both bags in my left hand, Ipod in my right and I’m ready to go.

As I walked back to work, on a gorgeous afternoon, I couldn’t help but curb the rumbling in my belly by thinking about how great my lunch was going to be once I got back to work. Seven minutes. It’s only a seven minute walk.

On the elevator ride back to my office, I noticed, one bag – comprised of books and puppets in my left hand, Ipod in my right. But wait – where was my lunch? I checked my purse, my bag, nothing. Somewhere between the Café and work, I had lost my lunch.

I called, but the man who answered the phone said no one had left behind a lunch. I was so distraught, and disappointed, not to mention hungry. After I left work, I retraced my steps back to the café…. No lunch on the sidewalk. Really, not that I would eat it if I found it, but rather I just wanted to know that I had dropped it unknowingly. I’m almost glad I didn’t find it, because really, how could I drop it and not realize.

Today, I returned to the scene of the crime. I stopped in to pick up a coffee on my way to work. I had envisioned me walking in, greeted with open arms and offer of a new lunch. They would recognize me, we would laugh, we would eat Cous-Cous Salad together. No such luck. So $2 later, I had a large Vanilla Hazlenut Coffee. And I didn’t dare order lunch to go. Because yesterday’s lunch was long gone.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer