Sunday, April 30, 2006
Grammar SOS
The tune is catchy.  I found myself grooving around my room as I got ready for work.  The radio announced a new tune from Rihanna.”S-O-S…. Somebody help me, Y-O-U-R making this hard…..”

I stopped. And waited for it to come around again.  Sure enough, the next chorus, she spells out SOS, and then YOUR.

Your. Possessive.  As in, “That’s your book”.
You’re. Contraction. You are.  “You’re crazy”. “You’re making this hard”

There was nothing for me to do but laugh.  

Although, imagine the song if they had corrected it.  “Y-O-U- Apostrophe-R-E making this hard.”  It doesn’t quite have the same ring to it.  


2 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Maybe instead of spelling "your", she's actually spelling "you"... as in, "Y-O-U are making this hard"??

But then again, I've never heard the song...

Blogger Tracy said...

that's a very valid point. And probably much closer to the truth.
Since it fits with the pattern of spelling SOS, and YOU.

Oh, ambiguity. By far, my favourite linguistic concept.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer