Monday, April 24, 2006
Pseudo-Nurse
I answered the phone for about the 50th time since my shift started about 2 hours ago.

A parent launched into a story about a two and a half year old.  She proceeded to tell me about her baby’s symptoms.

With as much sympathy as I could muster, I explained to her that I was prohibited from giving any medical advice over the phone.  I  explained that she could phone her family doctor or bring the child in.

As per usual, the parent argued with me.  “You mean I have to pack my child up and haul them in on a day like today for you to tell me there is nothing wrong with them?” (said with a tone of disgust and condescension.)

“If you’re worried, you’re more than welcome to bring your child in.”

“But you can’t tell me what is wrong over the phone?” (slightly more agitated)

“No, I’m sorry, I can’t.”

“You’re useless. You should go back to nursing school.”  Her voice was yelling at me now.

“I’m not a nurse! I’ve never been to nursing school!” I snapped back without missing a beat.

SLAM.  The unmistakable clunk of someone hanging up on me.  

I returned the phone to it’s cradle and laughed to myself.

Sure enough, a few hours later, they arrived in the department.  And to add insult to injury, I had to take them over for an x-ray.  Not a word about the incident was spoken.  But it sure is a good thing that looks can’t kill. Because if they could I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be here to tell the tale.  


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing and shocking how rude people can be on a telephone.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer