Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Wakey-wakey
I was called both “baby” and “honey” before I even got out of bed this morning.  I tried to keep up my end of the conversation, but let’s face it; morning is not my strong suit.  Not without a strong cup of coffee.

I ignored the voice that said, “Sorry baby, did I wake you?”.  And it although it dripped with patronization and ridicule it was also tainted with ever so slight apologetic undertones. I retreated further into the security of my duvet and the cooler side of my pillow relishing the way my bare arms melted into down filled goodness.

I told my favorite white lie of all. “Don’t worry about it; the alarm was going to go off any minute now anyway.  I should be out of bed.”  Lies, lies, lies.  The alarm wasn’t supposed to go off for another hour and 12 minutes.  I wouldn’t get out of bed for at least another hour and a half.  At least.

The voice on the other end of the phone reminded me that he was coming to pick me up at 7:30 am.  I tried to dust a layer of morning fog off of my brain and came up with no good reason why I needed to be out of bed this early on this particular morning.

NSCAD registration, he reminded me.
I reminded him that he was a week early.  Registration didn’t begin until next week.

I rolled over and pulled the covers over my head. “Honey, time to get out of bed”.  I could hear the smirk in his voice mocking me.  And before I knew it, I had half an hour to make myself presentable to the outside world.  Coffee and breakfast awaited me.  
By the time I strolled into the office (15 minutes early to boot!), I was awake, energized and ready to tackle the day.  Breakfast and coffee started the day out on a great note.

Besides, I have a lot more respect for someone who is trying to get me out of bed rather than into it.  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer